Sunday, September 7, 2014

Meet my new main female character, Sadie

Sadie Peters is my newest MC from my upcoming book, Who We Were. When writing Sadie I decided to make her a little like myself when I was in high school. Insecure at seventeen, awkward around guys and desperate for a place to fit in.
Writing Sadie was very enjoyable for me. She really wants to fit in but finds it hard to break the rules to do so. She has morals and she stands by them. 




Read the an excerpt of  Who We Were right here:

I killed the engine and grabbed my new bag. I refused to go to summer classes with my junior year backpack. No way! I had purchased all new items for the next four weeks. This was a new school and a new chance to actually become someone different. A clean slate. No one here knew me, so my past history was erased. I would be Sadie Peters, popular and outgoing, instead of Sadie Peters, a shy nobody that no one pays any attention to.
I looked up at Alcott High’s newly rebuilt entrance. It was the town’s oldest school, but it held the most history. It was the very first school built in Laurel Lakes when it was a small town. Now that the town has grown immensely, they needed a new school built, and that’s how Ridgeline High, my school, was built. While I liked my school for various reasons, I loved the history of Alcott. To me it held hope and immense change. After a complete and utterly disastrous junior year, I could only see promise staring me in the face.
I would be taking courses that were required for senior year now, so that when next year started, I would only have a half-day session. Then, after school I would be taking creative writing courses at the local college, preparing me for a university and hopefully an internship at a publishing firm. I had it all planned out. This was just the first step in my well thought out plan. A plan devised with Lily many years ago. We hated this town and wanted to get out as soon as our diplomas were in our hot little hands. I frowned at the thought of Lily at home sleeping in while I was here. She was spending her summer serving ice cream at Scoop’s while I was here. Scoop’s was the best place to meet guys in the hot weather, and she had been looking forward to this summer job all year. While I was jealous she was going to be surrounded by town hotties all day, I knew I had to do this. Besides we planned to meet up at the lake after school.
It will be fine. You’ll meet new people and have a fresh start. I told myself. Take that first step.
I took it with my eyes forward and head held high. But I failed to miss the hot guy walking straight into me. His books flew out of his hand, and I fell on my ass. Everyone in the quad looked directly at me and laughed. Not the start I had hoped for, at all. I looked up from the gravel into the eyes of the hottest guy I’d ever seen in Laurel Lakes. 

“Are you all right?” hot guy asked me. I stared in astonishment. His blue eyes dug into mine like he was searching through my soul.
“Uh, yeah. I’m good, you?” I mumbled.
“I’m actually doing great. I’ve never seen you before,” he said as he pulled me from the ground. “I would remember a face like that.”
I smiled from ear to ear as I brushed myself off. Maybe it was too soon to say I failed my fresh beginning.
“I’m Sadie,” I told him even though he didn’t ask my name. He threw me off by noticing my face. “I go to Ridgeline.” He smiled and rolled his eyes upward. “That’s where they’re hiding you, huh? I hate Ridgeline, but I won’t hold it against you,” he admitted. “I’m Nash Rylan. Nice to meet you, Sadie. What are you doing here? Did you fail Economics?”
I laughed. You’d have to be an idiot to fail Economics.
“No, I’m taking English Lit now, so I don’t have to take it next year,” I confessed. His wide smile actually faltered slightly, but not slight enough that I didn’t notice. “I want to have half a day next year that way I can get extra credits.”
I looked down instantly feeling shy at telling him all of my plans. Then I wondered why he was here in summer. Did he fail a class?
“I totally get it,” he said as he rubbed his neck with his hand. “I wish I was that ahead of the game. I actually failed Economics.”

Want more? Get Who We Were from Amazon, Barnes and Noble, iTunes and Kobo on September 15, 2014







Sadie Peters




1 comment:

  1. I'm looking forward for this book. I love here style! https://buyessays.info/blog/how-to-write-a-winning-essay follow this link for a winning friendship essay!

    ReplyDelete